rlintner928

I Lived in Kansas and moved to Missouri in May 2016. My Kansas return says I get a small refund while the Missouri owe a large amount. Am I supposed to file states sepera

RichardG

You'll file part-year resident returns for both states.  All you income is subject to Kansas income tax since you work there.  Only the income you earned after moving to Missouri is subject to Missouri income tax.  Make sure you have apportioned your income correctly for Missouri.  You'll also be entitled to claim a credit on your Missouri return for some portion of the taxes you pay to Kansas.

RichardG

Which state did you work in?
rlintner928

I work in Kansas. I bought a home in Missouri and moved in May.
RichardG

rlintner928

Thank you very much! I appreciate your help.