Solved: I lived in DC from 1-8 in 2018, no work and no income, but only went to school. After graduation, on Sep, I moved to Virginia and started working in DC. Do I file DC?

I lived in DC from 1-8 in 2018, no work and no income, but only went to school. After graduation, on Sep, I moved to Virginia and started working in DC. Do I file DC?

If you had NO income while you were a resident of DC, it is not necessary to file a DC return.

The income you had from DC after you became a VA resident is taxable only by VA.  This is because DC has tax reciprocity with every other state.

Bottom line: if you had no income from DC while you were a DC resident, then in the My Info section of TT enter your state of residence as VA, and answer No to the question about having income from another state.

If you haven't already done so, you should submit DC Form D-4A to your employer.  Here's a link to that form:  https://otr.cfo.dc.gov/sites/default/files/dc/sites/otr/publication/attachments/2018%20D-4A.pdf

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.**

Thank you for the response. I have already set my state of residence as VA and answered No to the question about having income from another state, when I created my TurboTax account. On the form side, I submitted VA-4 Form to my employer because the on-boarding process begun after I had moved to VA (Came to VA at the end of August and started working on Sep). Is that okay?

Yes.  The purpose of the form is simply to inform your new employer that you're not a DC resident, so that they don't withhold DC taxes from your pay.

Thank you so much for your help and all the quick responses!