gdchiacchieri2

I lived in CA and earned income only in CA but moved to Ma in September.Have not worked since being in MA. How do I file for only one state (CA) with a MA address?

TerryA

Your mailing address is completely independent of your residency status. In Personal Info indicate that MA is your resident state for part of 2016, enter the date you moved there and select California as the state you moved from.

Complete your federal return, then prepare the part-year TT/Calif return. Completely ignore TT offering you a Mass. part-year return - you don't need to prepare, file or pay for that.

TerryA