turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mememiller1990
Returning Member

I live in TN, but I am starting a new job at amazon 15minutes away in MS, I’ve never had to file a state return while working in TN, what will happen/change now with me working in MS?

I live at the border of TN and MS so it made more sense for me to work at the MS facility since it’s only 15minutes away from my home, where as if I worked at the amazon facility in TN it’s almost an hour away from my home. But if working in MS is going to cause a big increase in taxes or other issues maybe it’s better for me to deal with the longer commute and just work in TN? Need advice 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

I live in TN, but I am starting a new job at amazon 15minutes away in MS, I’ve never had to file a state return while working in TN, what will happen/change now with me working in MS?

you will have to file in MS as a nonresident.  make sure you fill out a form Amazon should give you so MS taxes are withheld.  

TN does not have an income tax    

figure the tax rate in MS is about 5% of your income.   that is an estimate but close enough to determine whether is better to pay the 5% or pay the gas / time to commute further in TN

As HACKITOFF said, make sure that your HR people know that you want MS state taxes withheld. When you enter your W-2 into TurboTax next year, then the presence of "MS" in Box 15 and MS income and taxes withheld in Boxes 16 and 17 will trigger TurboTax to ask about your Mississippi return (i.e., give you a chance to add it).

Personally, having made long commutes, I would rather drive 15 minutes each way than an hour each way. The longer commute will not only cost more in gas, but will also cost you oil, tires, sharply increase the possibility of damage to your car, and cause you to question the sanity of the human race. For me, life is too short to spend 2 hours a DAY behind the wheel...but that's me 🙂

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies