turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in the Hurricane Michael affected area in Florida. Is there any tax credit relief for those in this area?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I live in the Hurricane Michael affected area in Florida. Is there any tax credit relief for those in this area?

If you live in a federally declared disaster county in Florida, you can claim a casualty loss for unreimbursed expenses resulting from damages caused by the hurricane. You can only deduct the amount less $100 in excess of 10% of your Adjusted Gross Income. See this for counties in the disaster areas: https://www.fema.gov/disaster/4399

To find where to enter it, type casualty loss in the search box and click on jump to casualty loss. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
howief-16

I am still working through insurance claims for Hurricane Michael.  Will I be able to deduct those losses in 2019 or must I claim them only in 2018

If they can't be deducted in 2019, you should be able to amend your 2018 return to deduct them. Because of the thresholds required for the deduction (amount more than 10% of your AGI), all your expenses should be claimed in the same tax year.

If you live in a federally declared disaster county in Florida, you can claim a casualty loss for unreimbursed expenses resulting from damages caused by the hurricane. You can only deduct the amount less $100 in excess of 10% of your Adjusted Gross Income. See this for counties in the disaster areas: https://www.fema.gov/disaster/4399

To find where to enter it, type casualty loss in the search box and click on jump to casualty loss. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies