kyle-k-brooks

I live in South Carolina but sell at a farmers market in North Carolina. Do I need to file a NC state return in addition to my SC tax return?

TomD8

It depends on your filing status and your total gross income from all sources.  You can find the details here:  https://www.ncdor.gov/taxes-forms/individual-income-tax/nonresidents-and-part-year-residents

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
TomK100

That depends on how much you earned while selling in North Carolina.

If you are a nonresident, you must file if:

• You received income for the taxable year from North Carolina sources that was (1) attributable to the ownership of any interest in real or tangible personal property in North Carolina or (2) derived from a business, trade, profession, or occupation carried on in North Carolina, or (3) derived from gambling activities in North Carolina and whose total gross income from all sources both inside and outside of North Carolina for the taxable year exceeds the amount shown in the Filing Requirements for Tax Year 2019 Chart for the individual's filing status.

Please see NC Department of Revenue for further information.