TyJu22

I live in RI and work in MA. In my MA non resident form it's asking me to remove duplicate wages. Should I remove the MA wages or RI wages?

AmyC

You may need to delete and start over. On your W2, there should be MA wages. RI wages would not be on the W2.

Turbo Tax is picky. You must do the nonresident state first. The MA wages should pull directly into the MA return. MA will calculate your tax liability and you get refund or owe.

Next, file your resident state of RI. The program should pull in your income. It will calculate a credit for you based on your MA tax liability for the same income. 

The credit will be the lower of each state's liability. You may owe your resident state.

kevinpwalker89

Hello.  Does the amount of MA taxes paid lower the taxable income for RI, or does it lower the amount of taxes owed to RI? 

TomD8

It lowers the amount of taxes due to RI.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.