turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in pa and work in md do i have to file maryland state

1 Reply
Level 15

I live in pa and work in md do i have to file maryland state

Not if your MD income consists solely of W-2 wages subject to withholding.  MD and PA have tax reciprocity with regard to W-2 wages.  If you live in one and work in the other, your income is subject to tax only in your home state.  If that applies in your case, you only need to file a PA return.  In the Personal Info section of TurboTax, you would answer "No" to the question about having income from another state.  

Note that tax reciprocity applies ONLY to W-2 wages.  If you had income from MD other than W-2 wages, you'd have to file a non-resident MD return in addition to your home state PA return.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies