Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

I live in Ohio but work in Kentucky

I worked at a job in Kentucky forgot to update my tax info when I moved in 2015. Now I have 3 different w-2 for state
1 Reply
Expert Alumni

I live in Ohio but work in Kentucky

This can be fixed in TurboTax on your state returns.  In the Personal Info tab you will say yes to the question if you worked in another state and select Kentucky.  When you do the state returns, start with Kentucky.  You will select the option as a nonresident reciprocal return.

Ohio and Kentucky are reciprocal states which means that if you live in Ohio and work in Kentucky you only pay tax to Ohio.  See this FAQ:

Make sure that you fill out a Form 42A809 with your Kentucky employer so they only tax you to Ohio in the future.

On your income for 2016, Kentucky will return all of the tax paid to Kentucky.  You will have to pay Ohio tax on this income, however.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies