turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

stasi1986

I live in NY but work in NJ. TurboTax says I owe NY $883, but NJ already took $695 and is giving me a refund of $128. How do I claim a credit towards NY?

I've already filled out a nonresident return for NJ and a resident form for NY, but my return still says I owe the $883. There must be a step I'm missing somewhere but I've no idea where it is or how to complete this. Is there another section I need to fill out?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I live in NY but work in NJ. TurboTax says I owe NY $883, but NJ already took $695 and is giving me a refund of $128. How do I claim a credit towards NY?

Possibly.  Since NJ taxed your income by $467 (695-128), you should be receiving a 467 tax credit on your NY return for taxes paid to NJ.  You will see screens that review the tax you paid to NJ, which should be credited.  Pay attention to these screens below in the Credits section:  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

7 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Possibly.  Since NJ taxed your income by $467 (695-128), you should be receiving a 467 tax credit on your NY return for taxes paid to NJ.  You will see screens that review the tax you paid to NJ, which should be credited.  Pay attention to these screens below in the Credits section:  

stasi1986

Hi DanielV. Thanks, it looks like the third screen is what I was missing. Do you know if I should list the $467 or the $695? I'm guessing the $467 since it includes the fact I'm receiving a refund.
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Correct.  That is what should be in that screen.
stasi1986

Awesome. I really appreciate your help, thank you!
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Glad we could help
stasi1986

I went back and filled out the form as we went over, and it did say I had a credit on a following screen. However, when I keep continuing to checkout, it still says I owe NY $883. Is this a glitch? Or perhaps it's because I previously got all the way to the pre-file screen before realizing that there was no credit? Seems like the software is still trying to use my original data instead of my fixes.
nikitag3

I am unable to get to this screen. The Taxes paid ito another state does not show up
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies