sandrasalas2000

I live in NY and own rental property in CA. In 2017, I filed NY first, then CA state second. I should have filed CA state first. Should I refile with CA first?

Should I file an amended return for NY (and CA)?  I am uncertain if I may have overpaid taxes in NY.

DanielV01

It depends.  You probably won't need to re-file the CA return.  However, you do want to review the NY section of the return and look for Taxes Paid to Another State.  If you did not receive credit for the taxes you paid to California on the rental, you will want to prepare an amended return in order to claim the credit.  These instructions will help you to verify the return status and prepare an amended return:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4653469

DanielV01