turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mln1

I live in NJ but moved to PA for 4mo in 2018 for medical purposes. Maintained my NJ home (own). Rented apt in PA. Was back in NJ on 12/29. How do I deal with this? Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I live in NJ but moved to PA for 4mo in 2018 for medical purposes. Maintained my NJ home (own). Rented apt in PA. Was back in NJ on 12/29. How do I deal with this? Thanks

As rjs noted, it appears that you are a NJ resident and the period spent in PA was a temporary absence from your resident state for medical reasons.  It also appears that you should have been filing in the past a NY non-resident return and a NJ resident return with a credit for taxes paid to NY.

Since PA and NJ have a reciprocal agreement, wages earned in PA by a NJ resident are not taxable by PA.  If any PA income taxes were withheld, you would file a PA return requesting a full refund (easy to file a paper PA return).  You would continue to file the NY non-resident and NJ resident returns.

https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/njit25.shtml

https://revenue-pa.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/853/kw/nj%20reciprocity

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Where did you work in 2018?  Did you work or earn any income while living in PA.  Did you have any business or rental income from PA?  See your previous question regarding medical expenses here:  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4492921-i-am-temporarily-relocating-few-months-to-pa-from-nj-for-m...>
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

In my opinion you ignore it. Being in PA for your son's medical care was a temporary absence from your NJ home, like being in the hospital or being away on vacation. You were a NJ resident all year. You were never a PA resident.

If you worked in PA, or had any other income from PA, post the details and we'll tell you how to handle it. Otherwise, I would just ignore the stay in PA and file your tax returns as if you were in NJ all year.
mln1

I worked in a NY office of an NJ-based company for 8mo. Worked 1mo in PA for same company, and was on NY/federal leave from that job the other 3mo (round numbers...). Thanks!
mln1

I worked in a NY office of an NJ-based company for 8mo. Worked 1mo in PA for same company, and was on NY/federal leave from that job the other 3mo (round numbers...). Thanks!
mln1

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

For the month that you worked in PA, what state taxes were withheld from your pay - NJ? PA? NY?
mln1

NY taxes were witheld throughout.

As rjs noted, it appears that you are a NJ resident and the period spent in PA was a temporary absence from your resident state for medical reasons.  It also appears that you should have been filing in the past a NY non-resident return and a NJ resident return with a credit for taxes paid to NY.

Since PA and NJ have a reciprocal agreement, wages earned in PA by a NJ resident are not taxable by PA.  If any PA income taxes were withheld, you would file a PA return requesting a full refund (easy to file a paper PA return).  You would continue to file the NY non-resident and NJ resident returns.

https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/njit25.shtml

https://revenue-pa.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/853/kw/nj%20reciprocity

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Based on the information you provided in the comments, you have to file a NY nonresident tax return as well as a NJ resident tax return, as re2boys said. The NY tax that was withheld will go towards the tax on your NY nonresident return. You will get a credit on your NJ return for part or all of the tax that you pay to NY. Prepare your NY nonresident return first, then your NJ resident return.

It looks like you do not have to file a PA tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies