turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tywtax1

I live in New Jersey. I have Washington state income for over $20k, and two NYC W2's for $466 and $198. Do I have to file the two NYC returns?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I live in New Jersey. I have Washington state income for over $20k, and two NYC W2's for $466 and $198. Do I have to file the two NYC returns?

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/file/nonresidents.htm

You must declare all of your income on your NJ resident return.  WA does not have a state income tax.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

All of your W-2's must be entered on your federal return. Every W-2 that you received must be reported on your federal tax return, even if they are for small amounts.  Remember that each one of those W-2’s has your Social Security number on it, and that income was reported to the IRS by the employer.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

That is correct.
tywtax1

Thank you.

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/file/nonresidents.htm

You must declare all of your income on your NJ resident return.  WA does not have a state income tax.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Based on the information you have given and the rules at the link that SweetieJean gave you, you have to file a New York nonresident tax return, in addition to your NJ resident tax return. If you have any New York income at all, no matter how little, you have to file a New York return if your FEDERAL income is more than the New York standard deduction, which it is.

Did you live in New Jersey all year? I'm just wondering because you didn't explain how you had income from Washington while living in New Jersey. If you did not live in NJ all year, your tax filing situation may be a little more complicated.

or did you telecommute for a NJ company?

tywtax1

Thank you
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies