busyteach1

I live in NC full time. Receive 1099 from Virginia Teacher Retirement. No other "income" from Virginia. No Virginia taxes taken out. Do I have to file a Virginia returnll

I have filed previously as a nonresident, but it seems to be a waste of money and a real headache (especially confusion in Turbo Tax this year). My Virginia return has always said 0 taxes owed to Virginia for the last 9 years.

SteamTrain

No...You do not file in VA for that.

Retirement income on a 1099-R is only income for the state you are living in.

The only time that "some" of it might be taxed by a different state is if you actually move your primacy residence to a different state during the year.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

SteamTrain

No...You do not file in VA for that.