Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

qdizon

I live in Maryland but worked in Virginia and DC last year. Should I request a refund of all state income tax (box 17 on W2)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

I live in Maryland but worked in Virginia and DC last year. Should I request a refund of all state income tax (box 17 on W2)?

If you had Virginia and DC tax withheld in error, yes. You will need to file DC and VA nonresident returns just to get those taxes back. You will need to reclaim that withholding, as you will likely owe tax to Maryland.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2895760-which-states-have-reciprocal-agreements

The chart above shows the exemption forms to provide your employer(s) going forward, so you do not have taxes withheld for a reciprocal state that you work in.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

If you had Virginia and DC tax withheld in error, yes. You will need to file DC and VA nonresident returns just to get those taxes back. You will need to reclaim that withholding, as you will likely owe tax to Maryland.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2895760-which-states-have-reciprocal-agreements

The chart above shows the exemption forms to provide your employer(s) going forward, so you do not have taxes withheld for a reciprocal state that you work in.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies