rembertmarilyn

I live in Florida why does it say i will have a mi tax due

I moved from Michigan in 2014 to Florida, i live on Social Security and Pension, i have never had to pay state taxes, now this form is saying i have a MI tax due of 490.00
SteamTrain

Well, it's hard to know what you've done wrong.

What you might have done is indicate that you had income from another state.. You don't.....Even though the Pension money might be coming from a former MI employer....Pension $$ are only taxable in the state you live in.  So that's all FL income (and FL doesn't have a state income tax).

___________________________

Now, if your 1099-R form from that pension shows MI taxes withheld...then that's the problem, and you need to get that stopped entirely.....you would have to file a non-resident tax return in that case...but just to declare zero MI income to get back the withholding.  Stopping the MI withholding is critical for your situation (if its doing that)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*