turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in DE and work in MD, but my employer (State of MD) only withholds MD taxes. In which state(s) must I file tax returns, and in what order should I complete them?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
JosephF8
Expert Alumni

I live in DE and work in MD, but my employer (State of MD) only withholds MD taxes. In which state(s) must I file tax returns, and in what order should I complete them?

You will need to file in this order:

• MD non-resident
  • DE resident

Always file the non-resident state first.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TomD8
Level 15

You must file in both states.  You'll be able to take a credit on your DE return for the taxes paid to MD, so you won't be double-taxed.

Your employer is correct to withhold MD taxes, since most, if not all, of your total state tax bill will be to MD.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

Thanks Tom. Which state return should I complete first?

BillM223
Employee Tax Expert

As Joseph and Tom noted, you should do your nonresident state (Maryland) first so that the Maryland tax can be calculated, and then your state of residence (Delaware) so that the Maryland tax paid can be applied as a credit on the Delaware return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks, Joseph.

Thanks Bill, and as well again to Joseph and Tom. Unsure as to why I hadn't seen their answers until yesterday.

My understanding is that, if you are a resident of Delaware and you earn income in MD, you don't owe taxes to MD. If taxes from MD employment are withheld, then you must file to have them refunded. My question is whether I can ask my MD employer not to withhold taxes so that I do not have to file a MD return. 

TomD8
Level 15

@stevef 

"My understanding is that, if you are a resident of Delaware and you earn income in MD, you don't owe taxes to MD"

No, that's incorrect.  DE residents who work in MD are subject to MD state income tax on their MD-source income.  MD has tax reciprocity with all its bordering states EXCEPT Delaware.  As a DE resident, your income is also subject to taxation by DE.  Therefore you must file a tax return in both states.   Your employer is correct in withholding MD taxes.

You will be able to take a credit on your DE return for taxes paid to MD, so you won't be double-taxed.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies