turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

arfierst

I live in DC, work in both DC and VA. All employers withheld DC state tax. Do I need to file a VA state tax return too?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

I live in DC, work in both DC and VA. All employers withheld DC state tax. Do I need to file a VA state tax return too?

No. You will only need to file a DC resident state income tax return to report all income (including your VA-source wages). You will not have to file a VA nonresident state income tax return.

VA and DC have what is called a state reciprocal agreement. This allows nonresidents to not have state withholding taxes taken out for wages earned in the state.

Since you will not have an VA state income tax filing, just check that you selected "no" to " Did you make money in any other states?" under the Personal Information section in TurboTax (see screenshots)

You can get rid of a state without clearing your federal return by just deleting the state from your list of states under the "State Taxes" tab.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DS30

No. You will only need to file a DC resident state income tax return to report all income (including your VA-source wages). You will not have to file a VA nonresident state income tax return.

VA and DC have what is called a state reciprocal agreement. This allows nonresidents to not have state withholding taxes taken out for wages earned in the state.

Since you will not have an VA state income tax filing, just check that you selected "no" to " Did you make money in any other states?" under the Personal Information section in TurboTax (see screenshots)

You can get rid of a state without clearing your federal return by just deleting the state from your list of states under the "State Taxes" tab.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies