arfierst

I live in DC, work in both DC and VA. All employers withheld DC state tax. Do I need to file a VA state tax return too?

DS30

No. You will only need to file a DC resident state income tax return to report all income (including your VA-source wages). You will not have to file a VA nonresident state income tax return.

VA and DC have what is called a state reciprocal agreement. This allows nonresidents to not have state withholding taxes taken out for wages earned in the state.

Since you will not have an VA state income tax filing, just check that you selected "no" to " Did you make money in any other states?" under the Personal Information section in TurboTax (see screenshots)

You can get rid of a state without clearing your federal return by just deleting the state from your list of states under the "State Taxes" tab.

DS30