Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Ashleyme

I live in Arkansas but I work in tennessee and my refund is showing I owe arkansas state taxes,why is that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I live in Arkansas but I work in tennessee and my refund is showing I owe arkansas state taxes,why is that?

You pay income tax to the state you live in.   TN has no state income tax, so you do not have to worry about filing a TN tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
TomD8
Level 15

Your State of Residence - Arkansas - can tax ALL your income, regardless of where you earned it.

Tennessee - where you work - has no income tax on wages and salaries.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

As a resident of Arkansas you have to report your income from all sources.  If you did not have AR state taxes withheld from your wages you now owe AR taxes.

If your employer does not or will not withhold AR taxes in 2021 then you will need to pay estimated taxes to Arkansas so that you will not owe at the end of the tax year and will not be penalized for not paying taxes.

Go to this Arkansas website for 2021 estimated payment vouchers - https://www.dfa.arkansas.gov/images/uploads/incomeTaxOffice/AR1000ES_IndividualEstimatedTaxVouchers_...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies