I live and work in Canada but am a US Citizen. Sin...

tamaescrii

I live and work in Canada but am a US Citizen. Since I did not live in any state in 2020, how do I disable the state return from appearing on my TurboTax site?

ToddL99

You may live and work in Canada, but what is your legal residence? Where are you licensed to drive and registered to vote?

tamaescrii

Hi Todd,

I am a dual-citizen of the US and Canada. I am licensed to drive and vote in Quebec. 

Thanks!

ToddL99

The best way to "disable" a state return in TurboTax is to delete it. 

For TurboTax Online programs,  

While in your Tax Home,

1. Select State,
  2. Select Continue,
  3. Select Delete next to your state.

For TurboTax Desktop programs:

1. In the upper left hand corner, click on File.
  2. In the dropdown that appears, select Remove State Return.
  3. In the pop-up that is displayed, select the state return you wish to delete and the click on Remove.

You may still encounter some issues with the program thinking you need a state return, especially if one of your tax documents indicates income is coming from that state or you had income from that state in previous years..