turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

zcr

I live and go to school in Ohio. For about 4 months, I lived and worked in Kentucky as an intern. What residency would that be considered?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I live and go to school in Ohio. For about 4 months, I lived and worked in Kentucky as an intern. What residency would that be considered?

You are a full-year Ohio resident.  Your internship is considered a temporary absence because it is required for your schooling.  You will thus file an Ohio resident return.  Since Ohio and Kentucky are are reciprocal states, your income will be taxed to Ohio, which is where you live permanently.  However, if Kentucky state taxes were taken out of your check, you will want to file a Kentucky nonresident reciprocal return to get these taxes back (although you will pay some of this amount back to Ohio).  If in the future you work in Kentucky, you will also wish to fill out a form so that state taxes are withheld for Ohio and not Kentucky.  Here is an FAQ on this:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4776822

You will still need to file your Ohio local return as well.  However, Ohio will give you a credit for any local taxes you have to pay to the Kentucky city where you worked, which will be found on the W-2.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

You are a full-year Ohio resident.  Your internship is considered a temporary absence because it is required for your schooling.  You will thus file an Ohio resident return.  Since Ohio and Kentucky are are reciprocal states, your income will be taxed to Ohio, which is where you live permanently.  However, if Kentucky state taxes were taken out of your check, you will want to file a Kentucky nonresident reciprocal return to get these taxes back (although you will pay some of this amount back to Ohio).  If in the future you work in Kentucky, you will also wish to fill out a form so that state taxes are withheld for Ohio and not Kentucky.  Here is an FAQ on this:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4776822

You will still need to file your Ohio local return as well.  However, Ohio will give you a credit for any local taxes you have to pay to the Kentucky city where you worked, which will be found on the W-2.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

Your Ohio city, if you live in a city with an income tax MAY give you a credit for any local KY tax withheld (box 19 of your W-2). You cannot claim a credit on  the Ohio state return or a School District return,

In the personal info section, when it asks if you made money in another state, answer NO, per the reciprocal state instructions, on that page. This will prevent TurboTax from thinking you need to file an OH return.

If KY tax was mistakenly withheld, be advised that KY has a specific form (740 NP-R ) for a reciprocal state refund. Rather than paying TurboTax for KY software, you should try filing that form by hand. It looks pretty  simple.<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://revenue.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/CF85BAB5-7CAD-4A7C-84A0-6A57635ADD6B/0/15_42A740NPR0001_FINAL.pdf...>
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies