tusseyd

I left the City of New York Dec 2019. Moved to FL. In Mar 2020 I received ~$2700 from NYC, a refund from the Mngmt Benefit Fund. Do I need to file a tax return in NY?

I worked for the City of New York for several years, leaving in mid Dec 2019. I moved to FL. For 2019 I filed a tax return in NY. In Spring, 2020, I received a check for ~$2700. This was a refund from the Management Benefit Fund in which managers participate. The refund was taxed for Federal and State. At no time during 2020 did I work for the City of New York. Do I need to file a tax return with NY for that amount? (I'm thinking I probably do, since they withheld Fed and NY state taxes.)
ToddL99

You only need to file a 2020 NY tax return if you want a refund of the NY tax withheld from this payment.

Since you ended your NY residency in 2019 and were a FL resident for 2020, then you wouldn't need to file a 2020 NY tax return other than to get a refund of NY tax withheld. 

​​​​​​​There is a possibility that NY will treat the payment as NY-sourced income and want to tax you on the amount paid. The NY state tax interview in TurboTax should help determine whether this will be the case. 

tusseyd

Thank you. That confirms what I had understood as well. Appreciate the prompt response, and I will file that return to get a refund of the NY taxes.