Solved: I just moved to South Carolina in May 2016 but I lived in North Carolina and I still work in North Carolina. Just wondering the way that I filed my taxes is it accurate

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just moved to South Carolina in May 2016 but I lived in North Carolina and I still work in North Carolina. Just wondering the way that I filed my taxes is it accurate

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 15

I just moved to South Carolina in May 2016 but I lived in North Carolina and I still work in North Carolina. Just wondering the way that I filed my taxes is it accurate

You will file part-year NC and Part-year SC tax returns.

NC taxes all you income from 1 jan to May, and then just the W-2 income for the time after that.

SC taxes All your income from May-to-31 Dec, including the  NC job income from May-Dec.  But SC allows you to take a credit for the taxes you had to pay to NC for the NC wages form May-Dec.

Setting that all up on each state's  part-year allocations can get confusing, and you need a month to work on it ..printing, adjusting...printing...adjusting.. etc....for 3 or 4 weeks until you understand that is finally all correct before filing.

*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Level 15

You will file part-year NC and Part-year SC tax returns.

NC taxes all you income from 1 jan to May, and then just the W-2 income for the time after that.

SC taxes All your income from May-to-31 Dec, including the  NC job income from May-Dec.  But SC allows you to take a credit for the taxes you had to pay to NC for the NC wages form May-Dec.

Setting that all up on each state's  part-year allocations can get confusing, and you need a month to work on it ..printing, adjusting...printing...adjusting.. etc....for 3 or 4 weeks until you understand that is finally all correct before filing.

*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings