ajchandak

I have lived in TX 2016 but started earning income from a company in AL from Aug. 2016. I was travelling to AL every week for job. Do I have tofile state taxes in AL?

I have earned 5 month income from Alabama. Also i have income from my wife which is all from texas. How do i file the return?

DS30

Unfortunately yes. If you traveled to AL and worked in AL, then your income would be considered AL-sourced (even though you are a resident of TX). Therefore, you would need to file an AL nonresident state income tax return to report your AL wages only.

DS30

ajchandak

Can i file the state income tax just for me while filing status being Married filing jointly without paying state income taxes for my wife
DS30

Yes - You will file an AL nonresident state income tax return and only report your AL sourced income. Your wife's TX income will not be taxed in AL even if you file the AL nonresident return jointly.