I have found that my W2 lists that I paid state taxes to Virginia, but my legal residence is in Washington state. How do I resolve this in turbotax system?

Did you work in VA?

No. I am a foreign service officer and work abroad. I pay taxes in my home of record (which is officially WA, but my payroll messed up and I ended up paying for VA my previous home of record in 2015).

Same thing happened to me when I was in the Army.

If you weren't a resident of VA in 2016, you will have to file a non-resident VA tax return in order to get a refund of the VA taxes withheld. 

Since Virginia had previously been your "home of record", you should probably file a paper return and explain why you weren't a VA resident in 2016. They may very well ask for documentation of your change in residency.

In the Personal Interview, list Washington State as your "state of residence", do not answer "Yes" when asked "Did you live in another state in 2016?", and do not answer "Yes" when asked if you "Earned money in any other state?"