Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

BostonGuy

MA resident, earned only 1099-MISC, $200k from MA and $100k from CA. For CA state, can I claim $50k SEP Plan deduction all from CA income, or am I limited to 1/3 is CA?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

MA resident, earned only 1099-MISC, $200k from MA and $100k from CA. For CA state, can I claim $50k SEP Plan deduction all from CA income, or am I limited to 1/3 is CA?

I have a different take.  I think you can only deduct proportionally based on the income earned in the state.  And, as you are probably aware, MA doesn't allow a deduction at all, which will create a MA basis for the SEP.  This appears to agree with the calculations outlined in the FTB publication.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

I have a different take.  I think you can only deduct proportionally based on the income earned in the state.  And, as you are probably aware, MA doesn't allow a deduction at all, which will create a MA basis for the SEP.  This appears to agree with the calculations outlined in the FTB publication.

BostonGuy

Thanks and I agree that the publication is clear - I have to pro-rate!  And, yes Tax-achusetts gives no love.
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It depends on your point of view.  The way how California calculates tax is they pretend that all of your income is taxable in California, and then prorate the amount of tax based on the percentage of income earned in California.  Because of this, California will allow you the entire deduction, but when the tax is prorated to the income, the effect will be as if your deduction were also prorated.

For a consideration of California's SEP deduction rules, please click on this link:  (FTB Publication 1005). (A PDF will download; the SEP rules are on page 11).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
BostonGuy

Thanks for the link!  The publication for non-resident SEP calculation nailed it...CA pro-rates.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies