turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

shellzors

I have a 1099g from a state tax return. Turbo Tax is asking me what kind of payment it is and I don't see any that fit tax return. Do I select business and farm?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have a 1099g from a state tax return. Turbo Tax is asking me what kind of payment it is and I don't see any that fit tax return. Do I select business and farm?

You are entering your 1099-G in the wrong place under Other Common Income. Use State and Local Tax Refunds on a 1099-G.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You are entering your 1099-G in the wrong place under Other Common Income. Use State and Local Tax Refunds on a 1099-G.

JohnR1

Form 1099-G is used to report different things, including state or local tax refundsunemployment compensation and paid family leave.

If state or local tax refunds were made to you, reported in Box 2 of Form 1099-G, you only need to include in your 2016 federal return the state and local tax refund(s) from 2015 (or a prior year), if you had taken a deduction on your federal return for paying those state or local taxes in 2015 (or a prior year). Box 3 of Form 1099-G will indicate the tax year to which the refund(s) relate.  The itemized deduction for state and local taxes paid is claimed on Form 1040 Schedule A Line 5a, State and Local Income Taxes.

To enter your Form 1099-G information for state or local tax refunds into TurboTax, please see the folllowing TurboTax FAQ, "Where do I enter a 1099-G for a state or local tax refund?":

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4768356

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies