turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a 1099 for both me and my wife. The company listed the paid state taxes to an Arizona number instead of a Minnesota number. What do I do?

I filed Federal, MN State and AZ state.  I paid Fed.  and got money back from MN state.  But I haven't received the $ 1071. from AZ state.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmandaR1

I have a 1099 for both me and my wife. The company listed the paid state taxes to an Arizona number instead of a Minnesota number. What do I do?

If you're saying you didn't earn money in Arizona or live in Arizona, but you had $1071 of income taxes withheld from Arizona; you'll need to file an Arizona return, to report that you had no income related to the state. Then, you'll get a refund, but if you updated the returns in the wrong order, your taxes can be overstated. If you did work or live in AZ then you'll pay taxes there.

If you did have sales related to the state, but you never lived there, you'll need to update your non-resident state return first and then your resident state. This is because your resident state will give you credit for taxes paid to another state. If you aren't getting a refund in AZ and it was a nonresident state, be sure you updated this state first and are using a non-resident return.

The software will cover this when you start the state return. Under State Taxes tab, you can Delete your return and Add another state if you did the wrong order or click Edit to review your entries.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AmandaR1

Do you mean taxes were incorrectly withheld from AZ? Why should you get them back? What do you mean AZ/MN "number"?
AmandaR1

If you're saying you didn't earn money in Arizona or live in Arizona, but you had $1071 of income taxes withheld from Arizona; you'll need to file an Arizona return, to report that you had no income related to the state. Then, you'll get a refund, but if you updated the returns in the wrong order, your taxes can be overstated. If you did work or live in AZ then you'll pay taxes there.

If you did have sales related to the state, but you never lived there, you'll need to update your non-resident state return first and then your resident state. This is because your resident state will give you credit for taxes paid to another state. If you aren't getting a refund in AZ and it was a nonresident state, be sure you updated this state first and are using a non-resident return.

The software will cover this when you start the state return. Under State Taxes tab, you can Delete your return and Add another state if you did the wrong order or click Edit to review your entries.

Manage cookies