1yellowdog-

I have 1099-R from New York State. I live in North Carolina. For boxes 12-14, NY is already filled in on the Turbo Tax form. Should I leave it NY or change to NC?

I used Turbo Tax last year, so some info is already filled in.  Do I leave Boxes 12-14 with the NY info since the $$ originates there, or change it ot NC because I live here?

ChristinaS

You can't change what's on the real 1099-R, but you don't need to file a NY return if you don't live there. The state entry on the 1099-R doesn't mean much in Turbo Tax, unless they withheld NY taxes. Did they?

Changing to NC isn't going to make any difference inside Turbo Tax, but you certainly need to leave as NY if NY tax was withheld. If it wasn't, you can change to NC...but whether you do so or not isn't important.

As a resident of NC, your retirement income will automatically be accounted for on that return regardless of how you input the 1099R. Many 1099 forms don't list a state at all.

To avoid problems with NY, talk to the administrator of the retirement income and inform them that you aren't a NY resident anymore. NY shouldn't be on your 1099-R if you don't live there.

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pubs_and_bulls/tg_bulletins/pit/ny_source_income_nonresident.htm

ChristinaS