Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rasamples

I got out of the Navy and moved to Massachusetts. I've had no income while in Massachusetts, do I need to file with them even though I'm still a resident of Texas?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MaryK1
Level 9

I got out of the Navy and moved to Massachusetts. I've had no income while in Massachusetts, do I need to file with them even though I'm still a resident of Texas?

A nonresident of Massachusetts only needs to file a MA return if he receives or accrues Massachusetts gross income in excess of $8,000 during the taxable year are required to file a Massachusetts income tax return.  Since you did not earn money in Mass, you do not need to file for 2016.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MaryK1
Level 9

A nonresident of Massachusetts only needs to file a MA return if he receives or accrues Massachusetts gross income in excess of $8,000 during the taxable year are required to file a Massachusetts income tax return.  Since you did not earn money in Mass, you do not need to file for 2016.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.

3.49m
Members

2.63m
Discussions

Manage cookies
v