turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I E-filed my federal return; but since I was only getting 4 dollars on the state; I choose to apply to next year state. how does turbo tax file my state?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM

I E-filed my federal return; but since I was only getting 4 dollars on the state; I choose to apply to next year state. how does turbo tax file my state?

If you elected to e-file both your federal and state returns, then TurboTax will transmit each one to the appropriate tax agency.  Even though you're carrying your state refund forward to next year, you would still have had to select a filing method for TurboTax to know what to do with the return.

Did you elect to e-file your state return?  If not -- if you told TurboTax to e-file your federal and that you'd "file my state return later" -- then you will need to go back into the File tab and answer how you want to file your state return.  You can e-file it or tell TurboTax you want to file on paper (by mail), in which case you'll print the return, sign it, and mail it.

The choice is yours.  But if you're unsure what method you selected (or if you didn't select a method for state), then you need to revisit the File section.  

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ThomasM

If you elected to e-file both your federal and state returns, then TurboTax will transmit each one to the appropriate tax agency.  Even though you're carrying your state refund forward to next year, you would still have had to select a filing method for TurboTax to know what to do with the return.

Did you elect to e-file your state return?  If not -- if you told TurboTax to e-file your federal and that you'd "file my state return later" -- then you will need to go back into the File tab and answer how you want to file your state return.  You can e-file it or tell TurboTax you want to file on paper (by mail), in which case you'll print the return, sign it, and mail it.

The choice is yours.  But if you're unsure what method you selected (or if you didn't select a method for state), then you need to revisit the File section.  

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing

Related Content

Manage cookies