turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

RXC1

I don't see any updated answers to the 20% qualified business deduction. Is this now updated in TT? I don't see it in my calculations so far.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieCo

I don't see any updated answers to the 20% qualified business deduction. Is this now updated in TT? I don't see it in my calculations so far.

Yes, TurboTax will calculate the QBI deduction behind the scenes and it will be reported on line 9 of your 1040 form.  Therefore, you will need to enter your business income and expenses (if your business is a schedule C) or your K-1 form(s) and once you get through the entry of the activity and depending upon the type of business entity activity, you may be brought through a couple questions related to the qualified business income deduction.  Once you complete the section, then TurboTax will calculate the deduction. 

In order for K-1 activity to be included in the QBI deduction calculation, the K-1 form needs to have an amount(s) in certain boxes: 

• For Form 1065 K-1 forms, amounts need to be in box 20 with codes within the range of Z to AD or 
  • For 1120S K-1 forms, amounts need to be in  box 17 with codes of V, W, X, Y and/or Z

Please note that not all rental income qualifies for the QBI, see more information in this link below:

Here is more information on the Qualified Business Income Deduction, including examples of how the deduction is calculated in the different taxable income threshold levels:

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JulieCo

Yes, TurboTax will calculate the QBI deduction behind the scenes and it will be reported on line 9 of your 1040 form.  Therefore, you will need to enter your business income and expenses (if your business is a schedule C) or your K-1 form(s) and once you get through the entry of the activity and depending upon the type of business entity activity, you may be brought through a couple questions related to the qualified business income deduction.  Once you complete the section, then TurboTax will calculate the deduction. 

In order for K-1 activity to be included in the QBI deduction calculation, the K-1 form needs to have an amount(s) in certain boxes: 

• For Form 1065 K-1 forms, amounts need to be in box 20 with codes within the range of Z to AD or 
  • For 1120S K-1 forms, amounts need to be in  box 17 with codes of V, W, X, Y and/or Z

Please note that not all rental income qualifies for the QBI, see more information in this link below:

Here is more information on the Qualified Business Income Deduction, including examples of how the deduction is calculated in the different taxable income threshold levels:

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies