turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I cashed out my TRS of TX this past year while living in KS. Do I now pay state taxes on the payment in KS even though TX has no state income tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

I cashed out my TRS of TX this past year while living in KS. Do I now pay state taxes on the payment in KS even though TX has no state income tax?

It depends

Yes - If you consider yourself a permanent resident of KS, then you will report all income from all sources (including your TX TRS income) on your KS resident state income tax return. Unfortunately, only KS based public pensions are exempt from KS state income taxes.

The common Kansas pension plan retirement benefits that are not taxable on the Kansas return are Kansas Public Employees Retirement System,Kansas Police and Fireman's Retirement System Pensions, Kansas Teacher's Retirement Annuities, Kansas Highway Patrol pensions, Justices and Judges Retirement system, Board of Public Utilities and State Board of Regents.

No - If you are consider TX your permanent state of residence then you will only will only need to report your KS-source income on your KS nonresident state income tax return. Your TX TRS would not be considered KS sourced income.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DS30

It depends

Yes - If you consider yourself a permanent resident of KS, then you will report all income from all sources (including your TX TRS income) on your KS resident state income tax return. Unfortunately, only KS based public pensions are exempt from KS state income taxes.

The common Kansas pension plan retirement benefits that are not taxable on the Kansas return are Kansas Public Employees Retirement System,Kansas Police and Fireman's Retirement System Pensions, Kansas Teacher's Retirement Annuities, Kansas Highway Patrol pensions, Justices and Judges Retirement system, Board of Public Utilities and State Board of Regents.

No - If you are consider TX your permanent state of residence then you will only will only need to report your KS-source income on your KS nonresident state income tax return. Your TX TRS would not be considered KS sourced income.

Manage cookies