turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What is non-arizona municipa interest? What area of my taxes would that come up in?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

What is non-arizona municipa interest? What area of my taxes would that come up in?

I assume you are an Arizona resident.  Municipal bond interest is, in general, exempt from federal tax, but must be reported in a box on your return.  You would enter this under the Federal Income Interest section under the 1099-INT area.  There you would provide the amount of municipal bond interest (Box 8), whether directly from a bond you owned or from a municipal bond fund in which you own shares, and as you continue, TurboTax will ask you to supply its origin state or states.  In your case, I suspect you own shares in a municipal bond fund, in which case you will either need to look at the fund's website or, if you are lucky, an enclosure with your 1099-INT to determine what percent of that federal tax-exempt interest arose from Arizona municipal bonds.  To paraphrase the TT help:

Example: You lived in Arizona and received $1,000 interest from the ABC tax-exempt bond fund.

- Select Arizona from the drop-down list and enter the $60 of interest received from Arizona.
- Then select More Than One State and enter the balance of $940.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies