TTP1

I am U.S. military. I file state tax in Ohio. My wife files separate in Virginia. We have capital gains tax this year. Do we pay capital gains in both Ohio and Virginia?

Hal_Al

If the stock or other asset, you sold, was owned jointly, then the capital gain is 50% attributed to each of you. You would show 50% of the gain on your Ohio return and she would report 50% on the VA return. If the stock was only in one name, then only that person would report it.

Ohio requires you to file a joint return, if you filed a joint federal return. Show yourself as resident and her as non resident. You will report both your incomes, but allocate hers as non-Ohio. I think VA works the same. You will not be double taxed by filing joint returns.

Hal_Al