Solved: I am in the military and stationed in North Carolina but my home of record is Maryland and the website is forcing me to file as a nonresident of Maryland. Why?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
travis-brickman1

I am in the military and stationed in North Carolina but my home of record is Maryland and the website is forcing me to file as a nonresident of Maryland. Why?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Level 9

I am in the military and stationed in North Carolina but my home of record is Maryland and the website is forcing me to file as a nonresident of Maryland. Why?

In TurboTax, when going through Personal Info section, be sure to select that you a member of U.S. Armed Forces and select Maryland in the Tell us the state(s) you live in section.   You are a resident of Maryland as long as you are on active duty. Even if you are stationed in another state, you’re still considered a resident of your SLR (home of record) state.  

Also, indicate that you did not live in another state (the very next question in the Personal Info).

If you have NC-source of income (such as another, civilian W2), you may indicate that you made money in another state section.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MargaretL
Level 9

In TurboTax, when going through Personal Info section, be sure to select that you a member of U.S. Armed Forces and select Maryland in the Tell us the state(s) you live in section.   You are a resident of Maryland as long as you are on active duty. Even if you are stationed in another state, you’re still considered a resident of your SLR (home of record) state.  

Also, indicate that you did not live in another state (the very next question in the Personal Info).

If you have NC-source of income (such as another, civilian W2), you may indicate that you made money in another state section.

View solution in original post

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings