Solved: I am in the military and stationed in North Carolina but my home of record is Maryland and the website is forcing me to file as a nonresident of Maryland. Why?

travis-brickman1

I am in the military and stationed in North Carolina but my home of record is Maryland and the website is forcing me to file as a nonresident of Maryland. Why?

MargaretL

In TurboTax, when going through Personal Info section, be sure to select that you a member of U.S. Armed Forces and select Maryland in the Tell us the state(s) you live in section.   You are a resident of Maryland as long as you are on active duty. Even if you are stationed in another state, you’re still considered a resident of your SLR (home of record) state.  

Also, indicate that you did not live in another state (the very next question in the Personal Info).

If you have NC-source of income (such as another, civilian W2), you may indicate that you made money in another state section.

MargaretL