Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cestey1

I am doing my son taxes for Virginia and he worked in Maryland does he/I need to Maryland taxes too?

also does he get credit in Virginia for Maryland taxes he paid?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

I am doing my son taxes for Virginia and he worked in Maryland does he/I need to Maryland taxes too?

Because Maryland and Virginia have a  reciprocity agreement, you pay income tax only to the State that you *live* in, which I believe in your son's case is Virginia.

If your son lived in Virginia all year but worked in Maryland, he is only required to file a Virginia Tax Return.  However, if his employer withheld any Maryland income taxes, he will need to file a Maryland Nonresident Form in order to receive the withholding back as a refund.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Because Maryland and Virginia have a  reciprocity agreement, you pay income tax only to the State that you *live* in, which I believe in your son's case is Virginia.

If your son lived in Virginia all year but worked in Maryland, he is only required to file a Virginia Tax Return.  However, if his employer withheld any Maryland income taxes, he will need to file a Maryland Nonresident Form in order to receive the withholding back as a refund.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies