turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kborris

I am confused because all I have is my wages from my job. Why do I owe money? What should my withholding be at this annual salary?

At an annual salary of $40,000 paid over 26 paychecks, with no dependents other than myself, what should be my withholding?  Thank you.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am confused because all I have is my wages from my job. Why do I owe money? What should my withholding be at this annual salary?

You owe money because the amount that is being withheld from your pay is not enough to pay the tax owed. It is as simple as that. To correct that, you can file a new W-4 withholding form with your employer, making sure that you specify to withhold as Single, and then claim 0 exemptions. That will withhold more. If that still does not withhold enough, you can always as to have an additional cash amount withheld each pay period.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You owe money because the amount that is being withheld from your pay is not enough to pay the tax owed. It is as simple as that. To correct that, you can file a new W-4 withholding form with your employer, making sure that you specify to withhold as Single, and then claim 0 exemptions. That will withhold more. If that still does not withhold enough, you can always as to have an additional cash amount withheld each pay period.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies