jmstrobel

I am being told to fill out a non resident MD Tax return. I work in MD but live in VA. I have never had to do this before. Not sure why this is being suggested now.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

jtax

Typically, if you physically work in a state you have to file a non-resident tax return in that state if you make enough money.  Every state that has an income tax, taxes money made in the state, and all money make by people who are domiciled in that state. 

The income requirements are listed here: http://taxes.marylandtaxes.com/Individual_Taxes/Individual_Tax_Types/Income_Tax/Filing_Information/D...

However, some states have "reciprocal" agreements and VA and MA are two of those. See the answer below, which says you don't need to file MD and describes the form to give your employer to stop MD withholding. 

If you have MD withholding you will want to file a non-resident return to get it back, if that is possible under the reciprocal agreement.