kjwelch

I am a WI resident that works in Minnesota.Is it correct that my Minnesota state taxable income is showing 25,000+ than my earnings?

I am married filing jointly.  My Husband works in WI.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

DanielV01

You are correct.  Minnesota will not actually tax your husband's income, but they do factor it in.  What Minnesota does is calculate how much tax you would have on your return if all of your income were taxable in Minnesota (including your husband's), and then taxes the percentage of the income actually earned there.  Since you file a joint Federal return, Minnesota requires you to file a joint state return as well, even though your husband has no income there.

Of course, you do receive a credit on your Wisconsin return for the taxes you pay to Minnesota on your income.  This way you are not double-taxed.

DanielV01