Jeazun6

I am a veteran over age 55 and according to Maryland Benifits $15,000 should have been deducted from my Maryland taxable income. My return does not show this deduction.

Rachel_W

If you received military retirement pay, in order to calculate the Military Retirement Pay Income Tax Deduction, you must mark the "Active Duty Military Retirement" Box in the 1099-R input screen.  To get back to your 1099-R entry, please follow the steps below.  

(Note: If you have already filed your Maryland return, you need to follow these steps in order to Amend your return first, then the steps below. How to Amend a Tax Return You Already Filed.)

• Click the "Federal Taxes" Tab near the top of your screen
  • Click the "Wages & Income" Tab near the top of your screen
  • Click "I'll Choose What I Work On"
  • Scroll down to the "Retirement Plans and Social Security" Section
  • Click "Update" next to "IRA, 401(K), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R)"
  • Click "Edit" next to your Military 1099-R
  • Continue through the TurboTax interview questions and when you get to the question "Where Is This Distribution From?" and choose "Active Duty Military Retirement".

For more details on this MD subtraction, click here: https://veterans.maryland.gov/maryland-tax-benefits/.

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing