mcminigalalix

I am a resident of WI, but live in VA because of the military. Do I have to claim anything in VA? My husband and I pay rent and bills here in VA, but we're not residents.

CarolynM

No. Your home state is your military residence throughout your service. If you had no income beyond your W2 for the military, you should not owe or have to file in Virginia unless you changed your State of Legal Residence (SLR) with Defense Department Form 2058.

When completing your tax return, you use your SLR as your resident state. When entering information in TurboTax, make sure you are entering the information for your home state every time you enter information about where you lived. It is easy to enter the wrong address when you actually live in another state. 

Here a few key places to confirm your SLR:

·       On the first screen of personal information, enter the zip code of your SLR, not your base

·       In Personal Information part 1, provide your SLR address

·       In Personal Information part 2, do not mark you lived in another 

For more information about the home state of military members, please see this helpful article:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901517-what-is-my-military-state-of-residence

CarolynM