turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am a resident in California. I sold a long term hold on land in Texas we were going to build a house on. Do I owe California state capitals gains tax?

Since Texas has no state tax does this mean it is not taxable or only if you resided in Texas do you take that benefit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am a resident in California. I sold a long term hold on land in Texas we were going to build a house on. Do I owe California state capitals gains tax?

Your resident state will tax you all your gains regardless of where incurred, so Yes the Texas land sold is taxable by CA.

If you would have paid taxes in another state (which you do not as TX has no state income tax) you would have gotten a credit for taxes paid in that state, which is none in this case.

For your purposes it is just a Investment Sale taxable by both IRS and CA.

To enter your Investments sold
Click on Federal Taxes
Click on Wages and Income
Click on I'll choose what I work on
Scroll down to Investments
On Stocks, Bonds, Other, click the start or update button

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Your resident state will tax you all your gains regardless of where incurred, so Yes the Texas land sold is taxable by CA.

If you would have paid taxes in another state (which you do not as TX has no state income tax) you would have gotten a credit for taxes paid in that state, which is none in this case.

For your purposes it is just a Investment Sale taxable by both IRS and CA.

To enter your Investments sold
Click on Federal Taxes
Click on Wages and Income
Click on I'll choose what I work on
Scroll down to Investments
On Stocks, Bonds, Other, click the start or update button

Thank you for your help.

My pleasure
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies