I am a police officer in Montgomery County, MD and live in Montgomery County, MD. Am I eligible for the $5000 income deduction?

Is it only applicable if Montgomery's crime rate is higher than the state crime rate? if so, how can I tell?

It depends.  You are correct that this special deduction is only applicable when the crime rate is higher than the state rate.  Here is the MD website that reviews the eligible police districts for the deduction (if your district is not on the list, Maryland will not allow you the deduction):  http://taxes.marylandtaxes.com/Resource_Library/Taxpayer_Assistance/Frequently_Asked_Questions/Indiv...