timgrayatroscoe

I am a full year Illinois resident, we sold two non-primary homes in WI. There are reciprocal tax agreements between these two states concerning income taxes that allow income earned in WI to be reported only with IL. Does this include capital gains?

TomD8

No.  The IL-WI reciprocal agreement applies ONLY to W-2 wages and salaries.  It does not apply to capital gains or to any other type of income.  You must file a non-resident WI return to report capital gains due to the sale of property located in WI.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
timgrayatroscoe

Thank you.  The TurboTax Premier software only prepared the FED and IL forms.  It isn't prompting me to submit WI taxes.  How do I record this properly so that it's correctly reported on IL and WI forms? 

TomD8

In the personal info section of TT, indicate that you had income from another state, WI.  That will prompt the program to generate the WI return.