pwin

I am a California resident. I received a K-1 from a Hawaii investment, do I file a tax return in Hawaii just for this, or do I include this in my california tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

TerryA

Your resident state (Calif for you) gets to tax all of your income regardless of where it comes from so your TT/Calif return already has the federal K-1 income/loss included. Unless there is a Calif difference with one or more federal K-1 $$ items you don't have to do anything else in TT/Calif for this.

If the HI income is of the sort that it is "HI-source" - meaning from a business there; rental property there; etc. - then you owe HI a nonresident return if the income is high enough to meet the filing requirement. The HI income requirements for nonresidents is on page 4 of the Form N-15 instructions: http://files.hawaii.gov/tax/forms/2015/n15ins.pdf

Note that you should not allocate to HI any intangible income on the K-1 such as interest, dividends, gains/losses on stock sales and things of that nature. Only business/rental/etc. income should be allocated to HI.

If you prepare the HI nonresident return, do that first, then the TT/Calif return so TT/Calif can prepare the other state tax credit for some or all of the HI tax on the K-1 that Calif is taxing also.