Solved: I always get taxes back from the non-resident state. TTax is showing that I owe those taxes to the resident state, but the non-resident state is not refunding the money.

I always get taxes back from the non-resident state. TTax is showing that I owe those taxes to the resident state, but the non-resident state is not refunding the money.

I always get most of the taxes back from the non-resident state.  This year TurboTax is showing that I owe all of those taxes to the resident state, but the non-resident state is not refunding the money.  I am sure there is a problem, but I don't know how to fix it.  I did make sure that I selected non-resident on the Nebraska form.

In TurboTax, be sure you complete your non-resident state return BEFORE you do your home state return.  That way, you'll receive credit on your home state return for taxes paid to the non-resident state.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.**

I tried this.  I completely started over and did my Nebraska taxes before my Iowa, and I am still getting the same answer.  I should be getting almost all of my Nebraska taxes back.

Remember that your non-resident state can tax ALL the income you earned by working within its borders.  So if you worked all year in Nebraska, most if not all of your total state taxes would be due to Nebraska.  In that situation, you would definitely NOT get all of your Nebraska taxes back.  But you would be able to take a credit for them on your home state Iowa return.  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901271-how-do-i-file-a-nonresident-state-return">https://ttlc.int...>