How does testing period for last month rule affect...

nrodriguez1

How does testing period for last month rule affect state taxes?

In 2018, my wife maximized HSA contributions based on last month rule (only had HDHP from June-December). However, in January 2019 we moved for a new job from Georgia to Missouri, and for 1 month she did not have a HDHP, therefore violating testing period for last month rule. How does the additional income required to be reported on federal taxes for violating testing period affect state taxes? Should it be considered on GA 2019 return or MO 2019 return, or neither? Turbotax didn't include it as part of GA income, but seems like it should?

BillM223

On your GA 500 form, what appears on line 4 for columns A, B, and C?

Isn't the HSA income listed on line 4, column A? Isn't it still in line 4, column 4?

Given that Georgia starts with federal numbers, the Georgia return would have to actively remove that Other Income amount in order for it to not be there - and you should see where it does this.

nrodriguez1

Bill,

I completed GA by hand, not in Turbotax. I'm assuming that you're referring to GA500, Schedule 3 for non-residents. If so, yes I completed it by noting the additional income from HSA in line 4 column A for federal and line 4 column C for GA income.

However, on my MO return (in Turbotax) when calculating the credit for other state tax, Turbotax is not considering the HSA income as Georgia income. I can see this by looking at form MO-CR - the HSA income is not listed.