Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

russ13075

how do i submit reciprocal return?

My employer held income for IL, not KY, the state i lived in. Now KY is coming after it. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

You should file an IL return to get the withheld  money back then file a KY return and pay the balance due.  And make sure to fill in a form IL-W-5-NR so the employer stops the unneeded withholding and see if they will withhold KY taxes instead ... if they will not you will need to make KY estimated payments.

TomD8
Level 15

IL and KY have tax reciprocity for W-2 wages.  If you work in Illinois and live in Kentucky, your W2 income is entirely taxable by Kentucky.

You are entitled to a refund of the incorrectly withheld Illinois taxes.  To obtain the refund, you must file a non-resident Illinois return, showing zero Illinois income.

If you haven't done so already, you should submit Form IL-W-5-NR to your Illinois employer.  Here's a link to that form:  https://www2.illinois.gov/rev/forms/withholding/Documents/currentyear/il-w-5-nr.pdf

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies